- Determine the plan for your project. How much? Where? What Type? Order materials and supplies?
- Coordinate to identify underground utilities (i.e., electrical, gas, phone, sprinkler).
- Identify and locate sprinklers. Either cap or mark the ones that are not needed.
- Tear out.
- Recommended machinery: Sod cutter, dingo, mud buggy, skid steer, walk behind skid, motorized wheelbarrow.
- Excavation and disposal of existing areas.
- Remove debris to 4" depth below final grade (where you want top of grass).
- Sub grade - compact using motorized hand tamper. Plate compactor. Minimum of two passes, two directions.
- Prepare base
- Install edging.
- Bender boards. Metal or composite. Pavers or Limestone.
- Install Geotextile fabric. Staple down every 4"-6" with landscape staples. Overlapped by at least 4 inches. To provide stabilization of the base.
- Install base layers.
- 2" approved aggregate sub base aggregate.
- Crushed concrete, decomposed granite (has soil), crushed granite, crushed asphalt, crushed limestone and. Two layers - can be the same or different.
- Should not be 100% of decomposed granite.
- Regardless of base, it should have a top inch to be a granite base. Plate compacted and water pact (as needed).
- If using padding, reduce depth of the sub-base to ensure 2".
- Install padding if needed. More exception than rule. Nail down with 6" common nails (same used with turf).
- 2" approved sand (required for putting green), decomposed granite, crushed granite, sand. Plate compacted and water pact (as needed). Silica sand is preferred.
- Install turf
- Inspect and prepare turf.
- Layout and pre-groom (power brush).
- Rough cut turf panels to approximate size.
- Confirm sketches to the final project to determine actual cuts.
- Layout panels and line up seams. Cut off two rows on each side.
- Temporary nail seams and seam tape.
- Install nail/pins, nails 10" away from seam on each side.
- Layout seam tape.
- Add weight to the seam and nail seams using bag of sand, minimum 1 hour.
- Zig zag every 10 inches, 20 inches on each side.
- Apply infill. Up to 9" from edges with silica sand or envirofil.
- Nail seams and perimeter.
- Trim and hand groom edges.
- Power groom.
- Clean up.
Post-Installation Spring and Fall Maintenance Procedure
- Remove debris.
- Maintain seams and edges.
- Apply infill if needed.
- High-powered brush and grooming.
Relax and Enjoy Procedure
- Congrats! You’ve joined our mission, Convert 2 Conserve to save time, money, H2O, and our precious environment.